hometapstoryprogresscontact

Thursday, December 6, 2012

Food Week - Dinner

Dinner is another hard one to fit in. Especially when using fresh, Organic ingredients, it can get a little overwhelming going to the store a couple times a week so the meat and veggies taste delicious and fresh. Trust me, I feel your pain. going to the store twice a week maybe is just one of those things that you're going to have to plan for and accept. I usually have one day where I get the majority of everything I need, then the second run to the store are usually things I forgot about or just need a little bit more veggies or fruits to get us through the following Monday. I am not a planner by any means, so a lot of times it's my own fault I have to go back, but when I plan properly, everything goes smoothly and the trip to the store is really quick because I know exactly what I'm getting.

Another joy that comes along with cooking fresh is it (usually) requires quite a bit of chopping and slicing. So a good tip is to try and chop up everything you need to, like peppers, onions, celery, lettuce, etc. all at once so for the rest of the week it's just a quick and easy throw into a stir-fry, salad, quesadilla, or sandwich. It's remarkable how much easier it makes the whole preparation!

One of my favorite and most versatile meals is my Chipotle Chicken meal. You prepare all the same ingredients, but you can use it for any kind of concoction--you can make it into a salad, while your other husband makes it into a burrito or fajitas, and your kids have it in a fun, easy-to-eat quesadilla. Lots of chopping, but so worth it for it's versatility and easy, tasty leftovers.


It tastes just as scrumptious as it looks pretty! I also just put a little bit of salsa and squeezed lime on top of my salad, it doesn’t even need dressing! You get a perfectly healthy and balanced meal without sacrificing one bit of flavor and yumminess!

Ingredients (all Organic):
2 chicken breasts
2 bell peppers
1/2 cup onion
1 cup brown rice
1 cup black beans
3-5 cups lettuce
2 TBSP olive oil
Mexican seasoning
Mango Salsa
limes (to taste)
cilantro (to taste)

Prep: Marinate Chicken by first applying olive oil to both sides of chicken breasts. then sprinkling mexican seasoning on both sides, a pretty ample amount so you get the flavor. let marinate as long as you can, at least 2 hours if possible. squeeze lime juice on when you put the chicken on the grill/skillet, this will keep more of the lime flavor on there. Cook brown rice, and when its just about done, squeeze in lime juice and throw in chopped cilantro to taste. chop and sauté peppers and onions in a little bit of olive oil. warm up black beans. 




No comments:

Post a Comment