hometapstoryprogresscontact

Tuesday, January 15, 2013

The Dark Truth

In case you didn't know, I have been a Master Aesthetician going on 4 years now and one of the things I learned in school, along with what I'm sure all of us have heard, is how to prevent skin cancer. I came across an article in my Women's Health mag that made me finally do a post about what I've been thinking about for so long.

First some facts...
Skin Cancer (Melanoma-the most deadly form) is the 2nd cause of death in the U.S.
Since the introduction of tanning beds 35 years ago, melanoma cases in women have gone up 705%
In the sun and tanning beds, UVA rays (the "A"ging rays) break down the skin's collagen and elastin...meaning, you've caused permanent damage that will lead to wrinkles, saggy skin, and sun spots ....aka, GROSSNESS of the skin and especially face!
It can happen to ANYONE and ANY AGE

Best prevention tools....
If you learn 1 thing from this post..WEAR SUNSCREEN EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. At least on your face and neck, please! I don't care if it's cold and cloudy outside and you feel like you're not getting any ray exposure..YOU ARE!
Don't you EVER go in to a tanning bed, unless of course it is Rx by a dermatologist because you have some special case.
If you need to be tan, get a SPRAY TAN! I know plenty of girls that are amazing at this service, and you can a much prettier, more specialized, and healthier tan.

Now don't get me wrong, I am the BIGGEST sun baby and would rather be on a beach than anywhere in the world. All I'm saying is, don't be dumb about it. Protect your skin. It's the largest organ on our body, meaning, you've got a pretty high chance to damage a couple centimeters of it bad enough to cause some serious damage.

Some advice, I'm not saying go to a grocery store and buy the 100 SPF body sunscreen We don't want you smelling like that craziness OR putting that on your face. UGH! Also, a little tidbit - if an SPF is over 35 Broad Spectrum SPF, it's filled with chemicals to make it higher. 30 SPF is plenty of coverage, no need to add more chemicals to your skin. My absolute favorite I've used is Image Tinted SPF Moisturizer , it gives you a little bit of color/coverage so you don't feel so bare, it smells divine, and it feels fabulous on your skin. It's oil-free so no worries if your skin freaks out easily, then moisturizes on top of it which it vital for your skin health and appearance.
If you have questions, please just ask. I can get this Image stuff I've talked about for you since it is a professional line.

Please remember, total skin health is a lot more than just washing your face with soap or water and putting on sunscreen. For best results and best ways to help protect your skin, please don't hesitate to ask me:)

1 comment:

  1. Jamie!! I ha been wanting to look at your blog for a long time now but just barely took the time today! I love it! Great job girl! I don't know why I don't have your number, dumb I know, but I want some of this sunscreen! I also feel bad that we lived with Tina and never saw you guys! We need to get together. I need to see that cute new baby of yours!

    ReplyDelete